- Table View
- List View
After being abandoned by his father, Langston Holiday is forced to move with his no-nonsense mother into the gritty public housing projects of Poindexter Village, better known as 'The Vil'. His mother is determined to make a man of him and does a pretty good job - by the end of his senior year, Langston is one of the best high-school basketball players in the nation. That's when he makes the biggest decision in his life - to forgo college and enter the professional ranks.
When heartbreak tears apart two lovers, one woman must deal with the stormy aftermath of confusion, selfishness, and mental anguish. What to do when a man abandons his commitment to love? Bestselling author Franklin White creates a topsy-turvy world of passion, betrayal, and turbulent emotions, where the characters must do all they can just to keep from drowning in a sea of uncertain loyalties and loves. Lala Paige is floating along in life with a great job, wonderful friends, and Keith, the man who stays by her side all day and night. But when she decides it's time to start thinking seriously about a family, all her well-laid plans come crashing down. Keith decides he can't remain totally committed to their relationship, and Lala won't accept anything less. As she struggles to make sense of her unraveling life, Lala must choose whom to turn to, and where her heart truly belongs. But what will she do when she discovers the real reason Keith's skipping out? Joy & Pain explores the drama of friends, hidden family secrets and lovers who attempt to endure the test of time through the eyes of one woman who's had just about as much as she can take.
Set in an underground world of scandal, sex and street justice, in Money for Good some people will do anything for the love of money. . . . Small-town businessman West Owens needs money. He's struggled his entire life to get it, but can still count his friends on one hand and the amount in his bank account on the other. When he is summoned for jury duty, however, he is introduced to Lauren Richards, a resourceful, ruthless fellow juror who drags West into a web of deceit involving the city of Atlanta's case against drug informant Pete Rossi. Suddenly, West finds himself in a world where charges of murder, possible prison bids and thousands of dollars are at stake. Soon he has more money than he's ever seen and he'll do anything -- including risking his life -- to keep it.
West Owens has been able to move his life along very nicely over the years, repairing one car at a time in the auto repair shop that he's always dreamed of owning. When Mrs. Shirley Bullock calls and asks for a favor, he is more than happy to oblige-even though it means taking a chance and hiring her ex-con grandson, Tavious Bell, to work with him. As soon as Tavious gets accustomed to living outside of prison walls, he divulges to West a shocking secret. During his twenty-year stint behind bars, he has been sitting on something very near and dear to his heart: two million dollars The problem is that someone has it, and Tavious has no idea who that could be. Once again, and much sooner than expected after promising his live-in girlfriend Lauren that he is finished poking around in other people's business, West finds himself in a dangerous situation. It takes him and his circle of friends into the darkness of the city of Atlanta-which they never knew existed-to help his new employee recover missing money that, if they find it, could benefit them all.
Middle-class life meets hip-hop culture in Franklin White's compelling story of a woman on a mission to change her life -- and the price she must pay for her success. Synthia Gage lives a very hectic life. While running a household and parenting a teenage daughter, she is also one of New York City's top literary agents -- promoting the work of celebrity authors and bringing in millions of dollars. Although her career is at the height of success, by Synthia's own standards her life is at a standstill: the live-in agreement with her ex-husband has expired, her daughter is preparing for college, and her best friend's never-ending problems are more than she can handle. Ready to shake up her life and reach her full potential, Synthia agrees to represent hip-hop's notorious female rapper Lil' Shae -- despite the star's raunchy lyrics and lewd dress code. But when Synthia's daughter idolizes and befriends Lil' Shae, Synthia discovers her new life is far from what she hoped it would be.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.