The Well-Crafted Argument equips students with a comprehensive set of skills necessary for writing argumentative essays in a wide variety of contemporary social contexts. Based on a process pedagogy that encourages individual voice and vision, the book introduces models of good writing for inexperienced writers. Divided into two parts, a rhetoric and a reader, it provides instructors and students with a wealth of materials and tools for effective argumentative writing, thinking, and reading.
Incorporating new articles, expanded commentary, and the latest changes from the 2009 MLA Handbook and 2009 APA Publication Manual, the 4th Edition of THE WELL-CRAFTED ARGUMENT guides students through the process of writing effective arguments across the disciplines. The two-part structure of this rhetoric/reader includes a complete pedagogical apparatus--with coverage of critical reading strategies, as well as writing, researching, and documenting a topic--and an anthology of readings grouped into nine thematic clusters. In-depth instruction, combined with real student writings, engages students and helps them discover their own voices. The Fourth Edition continues the visual emphasis from the 3rd Edition, while maintaining the authors' practical, skill-building approach. Each chapter in Part I ends with a "Summary," "Checklist," and "Writing Projects," while each cluster in Part II ends with "Connections Among the Clusters," "Writing Projects," and "Suggestions for Further Reading. " These sections encourage students to apply what they've learned and go beyond the classroom if a topic is of particular interest to them. In addition to guidance on drafting and revising arguments, the authors provide a variety of composition strategies, including freewriting, outlining, and shared reading.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.