- Table View
- List View
The Well-Crafted Argument equips students with a comprehensive set of skills necessary for writing argumentative essays in a wide variety of contemporary social contexts. Based on a process pedagogy that encourages individual voice and vision, the book introduces models of good writing for inexperienced writers. Divided into two parts, a rhetoric and a reader, it provides instructors and students with a wealth of materials and tools for effective argumentative writing, thinking, and reading.
Incorporating new articles, expanded commentary, and the latest changes from the 2009 MLA Handbook and 2009 APA Publication Manual, the 4th Edition of THE WELL-CRAFTED ARGUMENT guides students through the process of writing effective arguments across the disciplines. The two-part structure of this rhetoric/reader includes a complete pedagogical apparatus--with coverage of critical reading strategies, as well as writing, researching, and documenting a topic--and an anthology of readings grouped into nine thematic clusters. In-depth instruction, combined with real student writings, engages students and helps them discover their own voices. The Fourth Edition continues the visual emphasis from the 3rd Edition, while maintaining the authors' practical, skill-building approach. Each chapter in Part I ends with a "Summary," "Checklist," and "Writing Projects," while each cluster in Part II ends with "Connections Among the Clusters," "Writing Projects," and "Suggestions for Further Reading. " These sections encourage students to apply what they've learned and go beyond the classroom if a topic is of particular interest to them. In addition to guidance on drafting and revising arguments, the authors provide a variety of composition strategies, including freewriting, outlining, and shared reading.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.