The stories range from ghosts on ships and in lighthouses to sea serpents and underwater spirits; from ships that "talk'' to their captains to spectres who dwell on the shore. This is a not-so-serious investigation of truly believed superstitions and stories that have become a part of the lore of the Great Lakes from the early 1700s until present. Collected and set aside during years of the author's historical research, they are a part of the maritime tradition of the Great Lakes. Includes bibliographical references and index.
From the Book Jacket: Lighthouse Tales tells the story of the exciting human side of lightkeeping. It describes the deadly storms, killing fogs and numbing loneliness those who "kept the lights" endured. Stories of wreck and rescue, death and sacrifice, all thread their way through the pages of this remarkable tribute to the "wickies" of a bygone era. The book speaks of the courage of the old time keepers and their families, not just in rescuing shipwreck victims but also in the tenacity of their daily lives. Lighthouse Tales will appeal greatly to anyone interested in the wonders of the Great Lakes, historians, sailors, lighthouse fanatics and people just looking for a roaring good story. The book is thoroughly illustrated with rare photographs. Narratives include: The thrilling story of the steamer GEORGE W. PERKINS and it's close encounter with Lansing Shoal Light during the height of the infamous 1940 Armistice Day storm. Superior Shoal and the lighthouse that wasn't. The death of six brave Coast Guardsmen at Oswego, New York in 1942. Poverty Island Light and the mysterious treasure. And many more thrilling tales of "keeping the lights!"
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.