Written for those who said to the authors (and for others in the same situation): "We know we need M and E, but we don't know how to set up an M and E system, or how to make ours work well and provide the information we need." This detailed, practical manual explains the skills and steps for making a monitoring and evaluation (M and E) system that functions well. The goal is an M and E system -- people, processes and partnerships -- that collects, verifies and analyzes good quality information that is useful and used by decision makers, managers, implementers, funders, and other stakeholders. The manual begins by introducing the concept of results-based management, and the internationally accepted "12 components of functional M and E Systems" framework. It describes the purpose and functions of each component, and builds skills by taking users through the steps for setting up, or improving what already exists. (The 12 modules - one for each component - are listed overleaf.) Each module has clear learning objectives, detailed systematic explanations and useful examples, and exercises for learners to work through that apply what is being taught (model answers are available on line).
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.