A young Yokuts Indian girl describes her life on the shores of Old Buena Vista Lake in central California and the events that led her to a Spanish mission outside the world of her people.
As you read this book, you will explore with many brave explorers. You will meet courageous men and women who dared to follow their dreams in spite of many uncertainties. Your explorations will begin with Columbus' journey to the New World in 1492, almost 500 years ago! You will sail up the coast of California with Cabrillo, Vizcaíno, and other famous sailors who searched for California harbors. You will explore with daring men who blazed new trails into the uncharted lands of California. You will meet the California Indians who shared their golden land with others. You will journey with the Spanish padres who dedicated their lives to the beautiful missions of California. You will be there when the missions are built, one by one along the El Camino Real. As you journey, think about the people who came to this land long before you. Let the whispers of these brave people help you discover a special part of your California heritage!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.