- Table View
- List View
Edited by beloved storyteller Garrison Keillor, this year's volume promises to be full of humor, surprises, and, as always, accomplished writing by new and familiar voices. The preeminent short fiction series since 1915, "The Best American Short Stories" is the only volume that annually offers the finest works chosen by a distinguished best-selling author.
Guys are in trouble these days, says Garrison Keillor. Years ago, manhood was an opportunity for achievement and now it's just a problem to be overcome. Guys who once might have painted the Sistine Chapel ceiling are now just trying to be Mr. O.K.
Dozens of American and English poems, selected and introduced by Keillor.
Forget what you learned about poetry in school (that it's complex, opaque, a problem to be solved in 1,500 words due tomorrow). Poetry is the last preserve of honest speech and the outspoken heart. It holds the cadence of common life. It has a passion for truth and justice and liberty-the spirit that has kept the American porch light lit through dark ages of history. And the meaning of poetry is to give courage.
Humor, storytelling, cultural and social commentary from the patron saint of rural Minnesota.
I have given him plenty of peace. It's a peaceful night, the sprinkler swishing, school is out, and the humiliations of phys ed are over, I am quite content here with my reading material, but this porky little whiner, Miss Misery, comes and ruins a perfectly lovely summer night, simply because someone knows enough about the scientific process of evaporation to let the pots and pans sit and DRY BY THEMSELVES instead of running in to dry them at her beck and call. This is the issue here.
A national holiday in Lake Wobegon is always gaudy and joyful. But what is going on between Clint Bunsen and Miss Liberty? Clint Bunsen is one of the old reliable in Lake Wobegon, the treasurer of the Lutheran church and the auto mechanic.
Wobegon goes abroad in this rousing and moving story of a group trip to Rome. Margie Krebsbach dreams up the idea of a trip to Rome, hoping to get her husband Carl to make love to her--he's been sleeping across the hall and she has no idea why.
More tales from Lake Wobegon - good loving people who drive each other slightly crazy
"Prairie Home Companion" fans, Garrison Keillor is alive and well, with humor intact. The wry Minnesotan, transplanted to the land of subways and skyscrapers, is still dishing up his peculiar brand of warmth and wit.
In the spring of 1926, the Soderbjerg brothers, Ray and Roy, plunge into radio and launch station WLT (With Lettuce and Tomato) to rescue their failing restaurant and become the Sandwich Kings of South Minneapolis.
Garrison Keillor returns to Lake Wobegon in "a masterful portrait of the sort of small-town world that many of us Americans believe we grew up in, or would have liked to. A wonderfully readable tale".--The Washington Post Book World.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.