- Table View
- List View
Through larger-than-life characters and a timeless partnership game they played, "The Devil's Tickets" evokes the last echoes of the Roaring Twenties and the darkness of the pending Depression.
With immersion reporting, respect, and honesty, Pomerantz tells the full story of the greatest dynasty in football history--the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers.The Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s won an unprecedented and unmatched four Super Bowls in six years. A dozen of those Steelers players, coaches, and executives have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, and three decades later their names echo in popular memory: Mean Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, and John Stallworth. In ways exhilarating and heartbreaking, they define not only the brotherhood of sports but those elements of the game that engage tens of millions of Americans: its artistry and its brutality. In 1981, when the Steelers failed to make the playoffs for the first time in nine years, acclaimed author Gary M. Pomerantz, then a sportswriter for The Washington Post, interviewed them in training camp. At that time, Pomerantz asked himself, "What will life be like for these guys when they're sixty?" Without knowing it, he began writing this book. The heroes of those days sat with Pomerantz for new interviews. Greene, in his living room, explained Super Bowl IX, when the Steel Curtain held the Vikings to 2.4 feet per carry. In his man cave, Count "Frenchy" Fuqua recounted the "Immaculate Reception." Dan Rooney came to his father's old study to tell why he fired his brother Art Jr., mastermind of the NFL's most successful draft ever. In Hollywood, Bradshaw strained to explain his falling out with Coach Chuck Noll, his kinship with old teammates. The result is Pomerantz's richly textured story of a team and a sport. The book shows in full what the game gave these men, and what it took from them. Intimate, poignant, and thrilling, Their Life's Work does for football what Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer did for baseball. It is a story of victory, fortitude, renown, and, above all, the brotherhood of players who said they'd do it again--all of it.
On the night of March 2, 1962, in Hershey, PA, Wilt Chamberlain, a young & striking athlete celebrated as the Big Dipper, scored 100 points in a game against the N. Y. Knicks. As historic & revolutionary as the achievement was, it remains shrouded in myth. The game was not televised, & no N. Y. sportswriters showed up. Author Pomerantz brings to life a lost world of American sports. He tracked down Knicks & Phila. Warriors, fans, journalists, team officials, other NBA stars of the era, & basketball historians, to recreate the game that announced the Dipper¿s greatness. This is not only the dramatic story of a singular basketball game but a meditation on small towns, mid-century America, & one of the most intriguing figures in sports. Photos.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.