- Table View
- List View
In a world filled with too many choices, oppressive technology, and relentlessly overbooked schedules--how do we achieve the calm we so desperately need? Our ancestors used the fight-or-flight mechanism to protect themselves from predators. Today, we use it to fend off daily crises. The result is chronic stress and a learned inability to be calm which, in turn, makes it impossible for us to perform at our peak. Now, Dr. Gayatri Devi shows how we can cultivate empowering, enduring calm by tapping into our body's vagus nerve--and utilize our hardwired, natural relaxation system. If you are suffering from migraines, neck pain, gastrointestinal upsets, sleeps deprivation--or are just trying to work through life's difficulties--Dr. Devi shows that you don't need more drugs, you need A Calm Brain. "For anyone who wants to take charge of the 21st century while remaining calm, focused, and productive--this is the book for you." --Henry S. Lodge, New York Times bestselling author of Younger Next Year
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM) Alzheimer’s Disease: The Complete Guide to Preventing, Treating, and Coping with Memory Lossby Deborah Mitchell Gayatri Devi
The director of the New York Memory and Healthy Aging Services offers sound advice for patients and caregivers facing Alzheimer's disease. This guide covers prevention, treatment, and coping with memory loss and examines the symptoms and stages of Alzheimer's.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.