- Table View
- List View
A glimpse of the deep secrets behind the wondrous human psyche.
A provocative book that explains why men are so afraid of commitment -- and what women can do about it. Why is it so hard for a man to say "I love you"? Why is it so hard for a man to ask a woman to marry him, even if this is exactly what he wants? Women work hard at relationships but all too often, just when things seem to be going well, men tend to pull away, cheating themselves out of the happiness they really want. . . and leaving women feeling hurt and confused. It doesn't have to be that way. In Why Men Won't Commit, celebrated psychologist Dr. George Weinberg explains the secret fears that make men run away from relationships and the simple things that women can do to overcome them. Men want lasting relationships just as much as women do, but they fear that commitment means loss -- most of all, the loss of masculinity. Men are far more fearful and insecure than most women imagine, with the same basic needs dictating their behavior: The need to be special. The need to travel light -- to minimize obligations and maximize independence. The need for loyalty. The need to be close emotionally, whether or not they can ask for it. Once women understand these needs, they can help men see that commitment is a strength, and not a weakness. Why Men Won't Commit will show women how to enter places where her man has not allowed any other woman to go. . . and stay there in a loving, committed relationship.
Dr. George Weinberg has been a therapist for over twenty-five years. In that time, he has worked with a great range of men, and he has discovered that deep down, men actually want commitment, love, and permanence every bit as much as women do. Over the years, his patients -- even those who have had a string of failed relationships -- have expressed deep desires for permanent, monogamous marriages. So why do they behave as if they don't? And what can a woman who wants a relationship do to help her man commit? While other therapists tend to be students of women, Dr. Weinberg is a student of men. From childhood, most men have been taught to be strong and silent, never to show weakness. They've been discouraged from talking about their feelings, so they never learned the skill. Now, most are on a quest for the ready-made perfect woman. They feel that, in relationships, things can't be worked out. When the slightest thing goes wrong, it seems easier to bolt than to talk. In engaging prose filled with anecdotes we all can relate to, Dr.Weinberg unveils the psyche of men to show the real insecurities that lurk there. Other books like The Rules and Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus have played right into men's fears -- by accepting the old myth and telling women that their job is to "overcome" men's fear of commitment. As Dr.Weinberg explains, this is exactly the wrong thing to do. Men have a powerful radar that tells them to run away when any strategy is being used on them. He explains why games of any kind -- playing hard to get, making a man jealous -- will only push a man further from commitment. And he gives women four simple keys to understanding their man's real needs and helping them move toward relationships. It is easy to scare a man, but it is also easy to capture his love without playing games. Why Men Won't Commit shows women how to enter places where her man has not allowed any other woman to go and, if it's right, to stay there in a loving, committed relationship.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.