- Table View
- List View
The heartwarming true stories of two kinds of endangered big cats. Blanca is a rare white tiger; Arusha is a cheetah. Both reside at the San Diego Zoo, and this book tells the fascinating background story of each. Animal lovers will find the full-color photos of both wild cats irresistible, and gain a deeper appreciation for all feline species. Other books by this author are available in this library.
Young children will love Corky, a harbor seal who is orphaned. After being rescued he goes to the San Diego zoo where he learns to perform in shows. One day he can't find the ball. Corky is blind! But don't worry, Corky learns how to do his tricks by using his other senses. School-age kids will love this book because it is a true story and would be fun to read for a science project or a book report. Do you know how harbor seals and sea lions are different. Parents will love this story because it is the finest piece of literature which I have seen for introducing children to the ways people who are blind learn to cope with the disability. Absolutely no mythology here! Corky learns to do the things he has been doing by using sounds, smells and touch. Children's literature at its best! This file should make an excellent embossed braillle book.
Relates the story of Basi and Yuan Yuan, two giant pandas from China who visited the San Diego Zoo as goodwill ambassadors to help Americans learn about the plight of their species. Other books by this author are available in this library.
Describes the work of the veterinarians at the San Diego Zoo as they treat sick and injured animals and work to save species through conservation and breeding programs. Other books by this author are available in this library.
"I'm Alberta, the gorilla baby at the Zoo. I'm lucky. Why? I've had two very special, but very different, families care for me. "The family I live with now is my gorilla family. My other family is what I call my human family. It's not a family with a mother, father, and brothers and sisters. This family is the special group of people at the Zoo who took care of me until I was a year old." Other books by Georgeanne Irvine are available in this library.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.