- Table View
- List View
The heartwarming true stories of two kinds of endangered big cats. Blanca is a rare white tiger; Arusha is a cheetah. Both reside at the San Diego Zoo, and this book tells the fascinating background story of each. Animal lovers will find the full-color photos of both wild cats irresistible, and gain a deeper appreciation for all feline species. Other books by this author are available in this library.
Young children will love Corky, a harbor seal who is orphaned. After being rescued he goes to the San Diego zoo where he learns to perform in shows. One day he can't find the ball. Corky is blind! But don't worry, Corky learns how to do his tricks by using his other senses. School-age kids will love this book because it is a true story and would be fun to read for a science project or a book report. Do you know how harbor seals and sea lions are different. Parents will love this story because it is the finest piece of literature which I have seen for introducing children to the ways people who are blind learn to cope with the disability. Absolutely no mythology here! Corky learns to do the things he has been doing by using sounds, smells and touch. Children's literature at its best! This file should make an excellent embossed braillle book.
Relates the story of Basi and Yuan Yuan, two giant pandas from China who visited the San Diego Zoo as goodwill ambassadors to help Americans learn about the plight of their species. Other books by this author are available in this library.
Describes the work of the veterinarians at the San Diego Zoo as they treat sick and injured animals and work to save species through conservation and breeding programs. Other books by this author are available in this library.
"I'm Alberta, the gorilla baby at the Zoo. I'm lucky. Why? I've had two very special, but very different, families care for me. "The family I live with now is my gorilla family. My other family is what I call my human family. It's not a family with a mother, father, and brothers and sisters. This family is the special group of people at the Zoo who took care of me until I was a year old." Other books by Georgeanne Irvine are available in this library.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.