Social studies textbook.
This textbook contains unit lessons on: American Beginnings to 1783, 1781-1850 A New Nation, 1825-1877 An Era of Growth and Disunion, 1876-1917 Migration and Industrialization Change Society, 1890-1920 Modern America Emerges, 1920-1940 The Twenties and the Great Depression, 1931-1960 World War II and Its Aftermath, 1954-1975 Living with Great Turmoil, and 1968-1996 Nearing the Century Mark.
You live in a nation founded on dreams of freedom, opportunity, and progress. The most enduring of these visions is the American dream--the belief held by most Americans that if they work hard, and play by the rules, then they and their children will be better off.
This textbook on "The Americans" narrates the history of Americans from Beginnings to Passage to a New Century.
High-school textbook about American history.
Among the important themes in U.S. history are the promise of technology, the rights enjoyed by Americans, and the roles of women in the 21st century. As you study U.S. history, you will encounter these and other themes again and again. The Americans focuses on nine themes, described on these pages. What do you think are the important issues raised by each theme?
The history of a nation is shaped as much by geography as by people and events. Paying attention to the following themes of geography can help you recognize when geographic forces are at work in the story of the United States.
America has always been a land of economic opportunity. Blessed with fertile land and abundant resources, this has been a country where anyone who has worked hard has had a chance to prosper. Indeed, American history is full of heartening "rags-to-riches" success stories. Just as inspiring are the heroic struggles of women and minorities who fought to improve their economic prospects.
The book discusses in detail the dramatic events of America's past and uncovers the lives of the people who shaped the nation's history. It helps the reader to understand the nation's heritage,become an informed citizen and a better critical thinker.
You live in a nation founded on dreams of freedom, opportunity, and progress. The most enduring of these visions is the American dream--the belief held by most Americans that if they work hard and play by the rules, then they and their children will be better off.
The Americans focuses on nine themes, described on these pages. As you study U.S. history, you will encounter these and other themes again and again. The Thematic Review on pages 192-197 and the Tracing Themes features organize major events in United States history around these themes.
This is more of a story of the United State laid out in different themes. These themes include: America in world affairs, economic opportunity, science & technology, diversity & the national identity, women & political power, immigration & migration, rights etc
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.