- Table View
- List View
The second volume in "The Work and the Glory" series, covers the events of the Restoration from 1830 to 1836 as the infant Church grows and expands westward into Ohio and Missouri. It is a time of unforgettable miracles and horrific mob mayhem, and the Steeds are touched by the refiner's fire that tested the early Latter-day Saints.
Pillar Of Light, volume one of the bestselling historical fiction series The Work and the Glory, begins in the 1820s as Benjamin Steed moves his family to Palmyra Township in upstate New York. There they meet a young man named Joseph Smith and are caught up in the controversy that swirls around him. Did he really see the Father and the Son in a pillar of light? Is he a prophet and seer or a monumental fraud? The answers to these questions-intensely personal, potentially divisive-will dramatically affect the lives of the Steeds forever. Author Gerald N. Lund blends historical reality with high-powered fiction and introduces us to characters we have come to love: Benjamin and Mary Ann Steed, happily married, yet at odds over religion; Joshua, their volatile and rebellious son; Nathan, their spiritually sensitive second son; and Lydia McBride, who captures the hearts of both Steed brothers. This unforgettable story describes a family's heartache and happiness that came in the wake of Joseph Smith's experience with the pillar of light.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.