Fun, photographic nonfiction at its best from the authors of the successful Scholastic Question and Answer series. Scholastic True or False is a science series aimed at second and third graders in a fun question-and-answer format. Each book contains 22 true or false questions with a full-color photograph of butterflies and caterpillars on every page. Kids will read the question on the right and turn the page to see the answer on the left. Every answer also includes a bonus fact related to the question.
Images and stories about space exploration surround kids, fueling their curiosity about what lies beyond Earth¹s atmosphere. In this easy-to-understand book, kids will learn how a rocket works, how a satellite stays in orbit, how a space station is built, what it's like to be an astronaut, and much, much more.
This collection focuses on the eight major holidays in the Jewish year, starting with the weekly celebration of Shabbat and ending with Shavout, the festival that marks the giving of the Ten Commandments to Moses. Each section begins with a lively retelling of the Bible story connected to the featured holiday, followed by an explanation of how the holiday is celebrated, and closing with directions and recipes for making holiday-related crafts and food. This family treasury is written in the Jewish storytelling tradition and is meant to be shared by families throughout the year.
Answers to a variety of questions about various poisonous creatures, such as "Do Gila monsters bite humans?", "What are killer bees?", "Which ant sting hurts the most?", and "Are frogs poisonous?"
How is a hurricane born? What color are tornado funnels? The fascinating answers to these and many more questions about tornadoes and hurricanes await curious minds. This book will not only intrigue readers, but will help them prepare for a storm.
In sections on the life of a whale, toothed whales, and baleen whales, the Bergers take children into the spectacular world of whales and dolphins. How long can whales stay under water? How do whales keep in touch? Can dolphins save humans? Which whales have the longest migration? Accompanied by engaging illustrations, answers to questions like these will amaze children.
This book is all about the big cats in the wild; about their habitat, food and their small ones. The book also explains how they get their prey and about their enemies.
A series of questions and answers provide information about the physical characteristics, senses, eating habits, life cycles, and behavior of different insects.
This children's book describes the lives of wolves.
In this insightful introduction to dolphins, kids will learn that the dolphin's ancestors probably lived on land, that these creatures have built-in air conditioning systems, and that they breathe only once or twice a minute!
Provides answers to a variety of questions about the human body, including "Why do you blush?" "Why do you need two ears?" "How strong is hair?" and "What are goose bumps?"
Where have all the pandas gone? From the bamboo forests of China--to near extinction. Today, there are only about 1,000 giant pandas left in the entire world. In the well-received conversational style that sets this series apart, this book explores three basic questions about endangered species: Where have these animals gone? Why are they disappearing? Are people saving them? The Bergers explain the disappearance of not only giant pandas, but also of mountain gorillas, monkeys, tigers, rhinoceroses, and bald eagles, to name a few.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.