- Table View
- List View
Constantinople, 672 AD. Ex-concubine Anna is attempting to raise her daughter well, but as an Arab invasion threatens. Kallinikos, an alchemist working on a secret weapon to use in the siege, comes into their lives, and a secret about her daughter is forced into the open. Anna must accept huge upheaval, and recognize her feelings for Kallinikos ...
Charis flees her home in Ephesus to pursue the practice of medicine. Disguised as a eunuch, she must avoid discovery or lose everything she loves.
[From the book jacket.] When Antonia Lanchester is told she has only months to live, she decides to give those months meaning by blowing the whistle on her employers. Masterpiece Home Design, an upmarket home furnishing company has links to an atrocity committed by illegal loggers in Borneo. As she has nothing to lose, Antonia steals some incriminating files from her employer's computer and hands them over to an environmental campaign group. Suddenly powerful interests from London to Kuala Lumpur find themselves threatened with exposure. Antonia is out of her depth, forced to struggle not only against ruthless enemies but also the ever increasing frailty of her own body.
"Intelligent and imaginative. . . even the magic convinces. " -Mary Renault, author of The King Must Die. On The Path Toward Greatness, Every Hero Makes a Choice Legends sing of Sir Gawain, one of the most respected warriors of King Arthur's reign and one of the greatest champions of all time. But this is not that story. This is the story of Gwalchmai, middle son of the beautiful, infinitely evil sorceress Morgawse, and gifted student of her dark magical arts. A story of an uncertain man, doubting his ability to follow his elder brother's warrior prowess and seeking to find his own identity by bonding with his frightening and powerful mother. Disappointed in himself and despised by his father, Gwalchmai sets out on a journey that will lead him to the brink of darkness. A tale of loss, redemption, and adventure, Hawk of May brings new depth and understanding to Sir Gawain, the legend of King Arthur, and the impact of choices made--and the consequences that follow. "A welcome new light on the horizon of popular Arthurian legend... delightful... a strong sense of love and mysticism... a ripping adventure tale." -Booklist. "Will appeal to those who have enjoyed Tolkien's works." -Library Journal. "Compelling... splendid... vibrant... exhilarating... a novel that seduces us into accepting sorcery and sanctity in King Arthur's England." -New York Times Book Review.
Demetrias is a slave, wife, and mother, in fifth century Tyre. She is the primary silk weaver, and when asked to make a garment that is not the emperor's size, she knows that there is treachery involved, and must fight to save the lives of her husband and son.
Arthur Pendragon strives to unite a fragmented empire as his bastard son threatens to tear down the king, his queen, and their bravest champions. From the sudden death of innocence to a perilous campaign that strikes at the very heart of the empire, this third and final book of the acclaimed trilogy by Gillian Bradshaw offers the reader a front-row seat as Arthur's dream and his kingdom collapse around him.
Ariantes is a Sarmatian, a barbarian warrior-prince, uprooted from his home and customs and thrust into the honorless lands of the Romans. The victims of a wartime pact struck with the emperor Marcus Aurelius to ensure the future of Sarmatia, Ariantes and his troop of accomplished horsemen are sent to Hadrian's Wall. Unsurprisingly, the Sarmatians hate Britain--an Island of Ghosts, filled with pale faces, stone walls, and an uneasy past. Struggling to command his own people to defend a land they despise, Ariantes is accepted by all, but trusted by none. The Romans fear his barbarian background, and his own men fear his gradual Roman assimilation. When Ariantes uncovers a conspiracy sure to damage both his Roman benefactors and his beloved countrymen, as well as put him and the woman he loves in grave danger, he must make a difficult decision--one that will change his own life forever.
2nd of the trilogy of Arthurian novels, by a young writer who has captured the darkest years of Britain's history. Gwalchmai goes in search of a lady he has wronged in the past, and on his journey he unexpectedly acquires a servant. Gwalchmai also encounters his family, and may be able to put his past to rest if he survives the encounter with his mother and younger brother.
Render unto Caesar is a fascinating historical novel that explores the nature of what it means to be free, to truly be a citizen of Rome, and the lengths a man will go to, to call himself a man.
Historical fiction about the Syraqusan geometer and engineer Archimedes. It is also a love story.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.