At the end of The Dark Ground, Robert finally managed to escape from the tiny underground world in which he had found himself trapped. He needed Lorn's help to do it, and he had to leave her behind. Now, back in his own world and his own size again, he realises that Lorn will die if she has to spend the winter underground. To rescue her, he has to do two things: entrust his friend Tom with the incredible story of what happened to him, and find the 'real' Lorn above ground. Using all oftheir ingenuity, Tom and Rob finally track down the girl for whom they are searching. Her name is Hope, and she's been locked in a pit by her misguided parents. She is filthy, backwards, and completely dependent on others. How can she help Lorn? Getting Hope out of her prison will take more courage and patience than the boys feel they have. And then they still have to rescue Lorn. Time is ticking away. With each passing second, Lorn feels inexplicably called by a strange force drawing her into the dangerous tunnels of her underground world while, above ground, Tom and Rob begin the desperate battle to save her.
Robert wakes up naked and alone in a thick jungle. The last thing he remembers is being in a plane with his family, but there is no sign of a crash or survivors. Then he discovers the shocking truth--he is in the park near his house, but his familiar world has been transformed into an alien landscape. When he finds others in the same position, he enlists their help in getting back home. But the journey is more perilous than Robert could ever imagine.
The thrilling conclusion of a groundbreaking trilogy has arrived. Robert journeyed through a strange parallel world with the help of a tiny band of fellow survivors. Now home, Robert, with his best friend, Tom, and sister, Emma, are desperate to save the others before winter sets in and cold destroys their fragile existence. But the three friends discover a sinister connection between their own and the parallel world?a darkness that will test their courage, their friendship, and their hope for the future. Seamlessly blending fantasy with a hard-hitting tale of love and survival, Gillian Cross weaves the final tale in a startlingly original, spellbinding series.
When John, a British demolition expert is supposedly killed blowing up a building, his fiancée Annie insists on investigating, despite being in a wheelchair, and John's teenage sister Hayley goes along and finds that the Russian Mafia is involved.
It begins with a photo that Charlie takes for school, a striking black-and-orange shot of a wild otter swimming in the river. But wild otters haven't lived there for years. As Charlie tries to figure out where the animal came from, he keeps crossing paths with Peter Luttrell, the younger brother of one of his classmates. Why is Peter so interested in the photograph? Why do the other kids call him "Evil Eye"? And why do the otter tracks lead directly to the Luttrells' yard?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.