With a light touch, this insightful novel charts a fourth grader's course through the complexities of family and friendship. Abby is trying hard to understand the things that puzzle her. One is her friendship with Travis Mooney, who seems to be turning into just another obnoxious boy. Another is a mystery: Why does Grandma, who has Alzheimer's disease, sometimes call her Frances? Who is, or was, Frances? Abby is convinced that if she can figure out Frances, she will know something new and important about herself. Along with the surprising and satisfying solution to this mystery comes the discovery that some things can't be figured out but just as in doing a puzzle, putting all the pieces together is the fun part.
Sarah promised Marjorie when they were five years old that they would be best friends forever. But that was before seventh grade, when everything changed--everything except Marjorie. While Sarah wants to meet new people and try new things, Marjorie still likes doing the same things they always did. It seems the more time the two girls spend together, the more time Sarah wants to spend apart. How did a promise that was so easy to make become so hard to keep?With beautifully drawn characters and vivid details, this incisive novel portrays middle school in all its complexity--both the promise of what is to come and the pain of what must be left behind.
Following his parents' divorce, a fifth-grader goes to live with his aunt and uncle and attends a new school where he changes some attitudes about friendship.
When her parents go away for a month-long business trip, Arlie Metcalfe and her little brother, Michael, get to stay with their fun-loving aunt, Isabel. It seems as if it's going to be a month-long vacation, particularly for Arlie, who's looking forward to the time away from her demanding mother. But only a few days into the trip, Arlie's parents are seriously injured in a car accident, and her mother falls into a coma. On the very same day, a new girl arrives in Arlie's fifth-grade class. Casey has the same short brown hair, the same stubbornness, and the same bossiness as Arlie's mother. Is it possible that she is actually Arlie's mother as an eleven-year-old girl? Can Arlie somehow help her mother by befriending Casey? Or is this a gift from the universe for Arlie: a strange and wonderful way to know her mother before she was her mother?
"It's good to be pretty. I'm really lucky." So begins the story of thirteen-year-old Olivia, or Liv, who started winning beauty pageants at age three. Lately she's been wondering, however, if that's all she is. She gets a chance to find out when she meets a runaway named Dan and they embark on a trip to Chicago, each determined to uncover family secrets. This story of two teens from very different backgrounds making their way in a world preoccupied with physical appearance sparkles with wry humor, romance, and a revealing behind-the-scenes glimpse at the world of beauty pageants. This ebook includes a sample chapter of THE HARD KIND OF PROMISE.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.