- Table View
- List View
Alien Hearts was the last book that Guy de Maupassant finished before his death at the early age of forty-three. It is the most original and psychologically penetrating of his several novels, and the one in which he attains a truly tragic perception of the wounded human heart. André Mariolle is a rich, handsome, gifted young man who cannot settle on what to do with himself. Madame de Burne, a glacially dazzling beauty, wants Mariolle to attend her exclusive salon for artists, composers, writers, and other intellectuals. At first Mariolle keeps his distance, but then he hits on the solution to all his problems: caring for nothing in particular, he will devote himself to being in love; Madame de Burne will be his everything. Soon lover and beloved are equally lost within a hall of mirrors of their common devising. Richard Howard's new English translation of this complex and brooding novel--the first in more than a hundred years--reveals the final, unexpected flowering of a great French realist's art.
Bel Ami, written at the height of Guy de Maupassant's powers, is a classic novel of seduction, intrigue, and ruthless social climbing in belle époque Paris. Georges Duroy is a down-and-out journalist from a humble background who engineers a stunning rise to the top of Parisian society through his relationships with influential and wealthy women. Making the most of his charm and good looks (his admirers nickname him "Bel Ami"), Duroy exploits the weaknesses of others to his own advantage--in the process betraying the woman who has most selflessly supported him. Published in 1885, Bel Ami is not only a vivid portrait of a glamorously corrupt and long-vanished Paris, but also a strikingly modern exposé of the destructiveness of unconstrained ambition, sex, and power. Translated from the French by Ernest Boyd
Un joven apuesto llega a París procedente de Argelia, donde ha pasado dos años movilizado con el ejército. Su buena fortuna le proporciona un encuentro casual con un amigo de la infancia que trabaja como periodista y le introduce en su círculo. El encanto personal de Duroy, el protagonista, comienza a abrirle puertas# Pronto verá que la lealtad no es el camino más rápido para ingresar en la aristocracia; la maquinación y la seducción lo elevarán hasta las más altas esferas de París. La presente edición recoge escritos, tanto del autor como ajenos, sobre la recepción de la obra en su época.«En el ascenso de Duroy entendemos el declive de toda una sociedad.»JEAN-PAUL SARTRE
Maupassant es, junto a Flaubert, el gran escritor francés del siglo XIX. Aunque también cultivó con fortuna la novela, su portentoso talento encontró su forma ideal en el cuento, género que consolidó, renovó y en el que no tiene rival. Realista, romántico, fantasmagórico, terrorífico, fantástico o poético, Maupassant transitó en sus cuentos por todos los caminos de la imaginación. La presente edición (la más ambiciosa hasta la fecha) recoge el cuerpo esencial de su narrativa e incorpora muchas piezas no traducidas hasta ahora. La extraordinaria traducción de José Ramón Monreal viene acompañada por las espléndidas y originales ilustraciones de Ana Juan, una de las mejores dibujantes del panorama internacional.
Our woe is upon us.This chilling tale of one man's descent into madness was published shortly before the author was institutionalized for insanity, and so The Horla has inevitably been seen as informed by Guy de Maupassant's mental illness. While such speculation is murky, it is clear that de Maupassant--hailed alongside Chekhov as father of the short story--was at the peak of his powers in this innovative precursor of first-person psychological fiction. Indeed, he worked for years on The Horla's themes and form, first drafting it as "Letter from a Madman," then telling it from a doctor's point of view, before finally releasing the terrified protagonist to speak for himself in its devastating final version. In a brilliant new translation, all three versions appear here as a single volume for the first time. The Art of The Novella Series Too short to be a novel, too long to be a short story, the novella is generally unrecognized by academics and publishers. Nonetheless, it is a form beloved and practiced by literature's greatest writers. In the Art Of The Novella series, Melville House celebrates this renegade art form and its practitioners with titles that are, in many instances, presented in book form for the first time.
Ranging from poignant scrutiny of social pretension, to wicked tales of lust and love, to harrowing stories of terror and madness, the genius of Guy de Maupassant, France's greatest short-story writer, is on full display in this enthralling new translation by Joachim Neugroschel. The stories Neugroschel has gathered vividly reveal Maupassant's remarkable range, his keen eye, his technical perfection, his sexual realism, his ability to create whole worlds and sum up intricate universes of feeling in a few pages. Adam Gopnik's Introduction incisively explores the essence of Maupassant's unique style and his tremendous, if unjustly unacknowledged, influence (on everything from the American short story to contemporary cinema), bearing eloquent testimony to Maupassant's continuing and vital appeal.From the Hardcover edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.