- Table View
- List View
Inspired by folk traditions and the wholesome purity of natural wool yarns, this collection of 20 stunning patterns for both traditional and contemporary women's garments and accessories is perfect for the modern knitter. The traditions of the quintessential knitting cultures of Iceland, Shetland, Norway, and Sweden are examined, from descriptions of the wools and yarns to the history of the clothing traditionally made from them, including breathtaking photomontages of these classic vintage styles. Exploring a range of techniques and knitwear construction, the projects in this guide feature knitting in the round, steeking, lace, cables, Fair Isle, twined knitting, and embroidery and show how to create pieces such as cardigans, sweaters, blouses, scarves, and hats.
In Northern Knits Gifts, knitwear and textile designer Lucinda Guy continues her exploration of folk-knitting traditions in this colorful volume of small projects and accessories. You'll learn some of the traditional knitting techniques of Scandinavia, Estonia, Iceland, and the Faroe and Shetland islands, through modern interpretations of such heritage techniques as twined knitting, two-color knitting, lace techniques, damask, fair isle, embroidery, and rya (knotted knitting similar to shag carpet).Northern Knits Gifts embraces the Danish notion of hygge - taking pleasure in comforting and cozy things, which is often associated with family and close friends. The 20 projects include mittens, socks, hats, scarves, and bags, and are perfect for wearing and gifting. Emphasizing pattern and color, these knitted designs also embody the Scandinavian aesthetic of making utilitarian objects beautiful as well as useful.Additionally, the book celebrates the specific wools traditionally used in each project. Immerse yourself in Lucinda's world as you enjoy thumbnail sketches of the history and folk culture surrounding each technique.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.