The photographs in The Connecticut River follow this major waterway for 410 miles, from its origin near the Canadian border to its wide mouth on Long Island Sound, giving us a vivid portrait of a living artery of the New England landscape. Author and photographer Al Braden opens the book with an essay introducing important aspects of the river, and then presents 136 full-page color photos, ranging from close-ups to dramatic aerials, to reveal the river as few people are privileged to experience it. Readers will see and learn about the landscape, history, development, conservation, geologic formations, wildlife, flora, and, of course, the moods of the water, sky, and riverbank. Informative captions provide a wealth of information about the images, from pristine misted mornings to rich valley farmlands and modern hydroelectric turbines. Together, the images and text provide a poignant look at the river and document its centrality to the development of the unique character of New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Includes select bibliography and list of resources.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.