- Table View
- List View
The beautiful, aristocratic Karen Stannard had married Marty Lee. Too late she found, under his polished manner and his easy smile, a cold-blooded, calculating assassin. She found a man hunted by the women he had ruined and by the police he had defied.How trust can turn to terror, how love can turn into hate, is the theme of this new, powerful novel by H. Vernor Dixon, author of To Hell Together.
He climbed high and hard and fast, this Dean Holt, this ruthless young man ina hurry to conquer a world - and not caring whom he ruined on the way. And he was almost up thee, almost on the top run, the dizzying heights where a man could stand with and empire at his feet - the whole Salinas Valley, the rich, turbulent young lettuce industry, bought and paid for and his.He had the most beautiful women, the biggest cars, the most lavish home - but the top rung of the ladder was just out of Dean Holt's reach.He set out to make it, with the same hungry toughness that had driven him so far.Then, for the first time in his life, Dean Holt fell in love.With the girl who occupied the ladder's top rung - and would destroy Dean Holt rather than let him reach it.
October 5Wednesday, 1 a.m.Tonight I have bruises on my arm. Jeff has just left me. I no longer believe he is the same man I married.The brother is locked in his study, drinking. His face is the twin of Jeff's, and sometimes I catch him watching me with the eyes of the man I love. But I cannot tell surely.Someone in this great cliff house is playing a hideous game with me. I begin to think it is more than a game.I begin to think of insanity.
"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly. "'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy; The way into my parlour is up a winding stair, And I have many curious things to show when you are there." "Oh, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain, For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."They walked in, the women, beautiful women, rich women - greedy women. And Clark Holt took them - for money, for laughs and for everything they had.Then Ione came, beautiful and willful, and it was the fly who trapped the spider in a web that was silken - and strangling, too.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.