- Table View
- List View
In desperate need of crucial repairs, the Starship Voyager has come to Sardalia, a planet blessed with great natural beauty and apparently friendly inhabitants. The Sardalians welcome Voyager enthusiastically, but Captain Janeway soon grows suspicious. The Sardalians seem almost too eager to help. Janeway fears they are hiding some secret agenda. When Tom Paris and Harry Kim disappear while visiting the planet, the captain and her crew find themselves caught in the middle of a planetary war -- and faced with an agonizing moral dilemma.
Fantasy writers answer the questions, Why is The Lord of the Rings so popular? And How has Tolkien's writing influenced the path of Fantasy?. describing their first encounter with the trilogy, and how, their understanding of it's style and wisdom expanded as they matured. They say Tolkien influenced their fantasy writing, and examine fantasy literature. George R. R. Martin says Tolkien was first to create a fully drawn alternate world. Poul Anderson compares Tolkien's elves to Seraphim, Le Guin finds rhythm and patterns in Tolkien's style. Pratchett cannot recall where he was when JFK died but describes in detail the time and place he first read Tolkien. Michael Swanwick reads Tolkien to his 9 year old son, and accepts his honored role as a father and his place in the circle of life. Robin Hobb explains fantasy is popular because readers sought more books like Tolkien's. Orson Card reveals the true hero of Middle-earth. Esther Friesner thinks Elves are hotties. This is a wealth of information about Middle-earth, the nature of fantasy, and additional fantasy books.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.