- Table View
- List View
KaBOOM! chronicles Darell Hammond's amazing journey from a childhood spent living in a group home in Illinois to becoming the cofounder and CEO of KaBOOM!, an organization with this mission at its core: harnessing the power of community to save play for children... one playground at a time. Like The Blue Sweater and Three Cups of Tea, KaBOOM! demonstrates how one idealist can change the world and how small, civic-minded steps create a ripple effect that can precipitate change in communities and eventually change in the world at large. More than just a memoir, KaBOOM! is a call to action that will inspire readers by challenging them to rethink traditional notions of community and social change. This is the story of a man with a vision: Play is the best natural resource in a creative economy. Kids need more of it-it is not a luxury but a necessity for their lives. Through hard work, commitment, and the conviction that access to a safe play environment is the fundamental right of all children, Hammond built an organization that has raised almost $200 million, directly built 2,000 playgrounds with a million volunteers, and touched the lives of countless children and families. Photo captions are included after the index, starting on p. 287.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.