This volume will explore the potentially transformative role of effective laws and legal institutions in providing people with more opportunity that is both inclusive and equitable. Laws, legal frameworks and judicial institutions can create opportunity by providing the space to build human capital and assets, create jobs, and encourage individuals and organizations to make productive investments based on a greater sense of stability. They can also promote inclusion by advancing access to jobs and expanding the reach and quality of services including access to justice as well as promote equity by supporting equal opportunities, promoting open and accountable governance, and effective judicial and legal institutions. The objective is to shift focus to laws, legal frameworks and judicial institutions. To this end, submissions will explore the potentially transformative role of effective laws and legal institutions in providing people with more opportunity that is both inclusive and equitable.
This books focuses on the legal challenges and opportunities for International Financial Institutions in the post-crisis world. It includes contributions from academics, practitioners and Bank staff. The contributions cover a broad array of issues, included governance reform and constitutional framework of IFIs, privileges and immunities, responsibility of international organizations, issues related to fragile and conflict-affected states, climate finance, and the recent financial crisis. The book is organized in three main areas, namely (i) Law of International Organizations: Issues Confronting IFIs; (ii) Legal Obligations and Institutions of Developing Countries: Rethinking Approaches of IFIs; and (iii) International Finance and the Challenges of Regulatory Governance.
Much has been written about the role of law in furthering development. More analysis and debate is needed to understand more fully the true nature of this role. The World Bank Legal Review collects much of this debate and analysis, contributed by scholars and practitioners from around the world. The subtitle of the volume, Legal Innovation and Empowerment for Development, focuses attention on how the law can respond to the challenges posed to development in a world slowly emerging from a protracted economic crisis. Innovation in law means new strategies and ways of thinking about what the law can do in the development realm. Empowerment can mean many things, such as how to place the law into the hands of the poor. The two concepts are linked by their relevance to the future of law as a force for development. This volume contains essays that examine legal innovations and efforts at empowerment worldwide, in individual countries and in the broader international system more generally. Contributions have been collected from scholars and practitioners from across the world. The World Bank Legal Review is an important contribution to the scholarship of law and development.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.