The Emerald Tablet?an ancient document that contains the essence of the alchemical teachings?has had an important influence on many Western spiritual and religious traditions. Ostensibly concerned with turning base metals into gold, alchemy was in fact dedicated to transforming the lead of self into the gold of spirit. This brilliant history of alchemy traces its sources back to ancient Egypt, and presents alchemy as a useful, practical system of self-transformation. Each of the seven steps of alchemical transformation is explained, with hands-on techniques and exercises, treating alchemy as a living discipline for achieving a spiritual awakening. .
In almost any town in America, or within a short drive, there are places where strange things happen. . . Hundreds of houses, hotels, cemetaries, schools, and museums are believed to have resident ghosts and poltergeists. Many campgrounds and parks are on land considered sacred or inhabited by spirits. Some areas are thought to generate vortexes of psychic energy, while others are known for frequent sightings of Bigfoot creatures or UFOs. From Maine to Hawaii, this fascinating book leads you to more than 2,000 haunted places, many of them open to the public, in all fifty states. You'll find ghosts famous and obscure from the lawless days of the Gold Rush, from the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and the Roaring Twenties--even ghosts who first appeared in the 1990s. Entries are organized alphabetically by state and are referenced to an extensive bibliography of sources. Addresses, phone numbers, and travel directions are provided for all sites. Haunted Places is a most unusual travel guide for the tourist who has seen it all and an indispensable casebook for all those interested in the paranormal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.