- Table View
- List View
The lie was tiny and black like a stick of liquorice in her mouth. She didn't like liquorice and she didn't like lying but it was the only way. . . It is 1975 and nine-year-old Grace believes she has the ability to tell 'true lies' to get herself out of trouble. But when the feud between her mum and nan escalates into tragedy Grace finds she must tell the biggest lie yet -- and live with the consequences. For Alec Holm, 1975 is the year no one believes the truth and he finds himself convicted for a crime he didn't commit. But fate is making its own plans for Alec and Grace. Fifteen years later their two paths cross in the most unexpected of ways. . .
Ruby works at the library. Shelving, mainly. She'd rather be in the archive, but Martha's the one being groomed for greatness. Martha of the flamboyant bohemian style and russet-toned beauty, and the affairs with unsuitable men. Ruby can see the appeal of the affairs. The heat, the danger. Ruby sees a lot, loitering there behind Geography 910-maybe even enough to bring her out of hiding. And that could be a problem. Because everyone has history, especially someone who's trying desperately to hide from it. In The Stopping Place Helen Slavin's delicious observational humour lights up the unexpectedly mysterious depths of the suburban library, as she tells the story of a woman whose past has compelled her to become invisible.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.