- Table View
- List View
The lie was tiny and black like a stick of liquorice in her mouth. She didn't like liquorice and she didn't like lying but it was the only way. . . It is 1975 and nine-year-old Grace believes she has the ability to tell 'true lies' to get herself out of trouble. But when the feud between her mum and nan escalates into tragedy Grace finds she must tell the biggest lie yet -- and live with the consequences. For Alec Holm, 1975 is the year no one believes the truth and he finds himself convicted for a crime he didn't commit. But fate is making its own plans for Alec and Grace. Fifteen years later their two paths cross in the most unexpected of ways. . .
Ruby works at the library. Shelving, mainly. She'd rather be in the archive, but Martha's the one being groomed for greatness. Martha of the flamboyant bohemian style and russet-toned beauty, and the affairs with unsuitable men. Ruby can see the appeal of the affairs. The heat, the danger. Ruby sees a lot, loitering there behind Geography 910-maybe even enough to bring her out of hiding. And that could be a problem. Because everyone has history, especially someone who's trying desperately to hide from it. In The Stopping Place Helen Slavin's delicious observational humour lights up the unexpectedly mysterious depths of the suburban library, as she tells the story of a woman whose past has compelled her to become invisible.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.