- Table View
- List View
When Parents Worry: The Real Calls Doctors Receive on Everything from Moles That Seem to Move to Funny-smelling Pooby Henry Anderson
A bird pooped in my daughter's mouth yesterday. Do we need to worry about anything? Sure, kids may say and do the darndest things, but concerned parents definitely take it to a whole other level. While these moms and dads certainly mean well, it's hard for anyone (even a pediatrician) not to dissolve into laughter when they hear weird and unexpected questions like: Betty ate cheese from a mousetrap from which the mouse also ate. Is that anything to worry about? Should my eight-year-old wear boxers or briefs? I dropped off my son's urine sample in a Tupperware container. Can you please give it back when you're done? From concerns about pickle-shaped poos to the risks of sitting on Santa's lap, Dr. Henry Anderson, a pediatrician in private practice, has heard it all#151;and now you can, too.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.