Robert Fulton-Boy Craftsman is the biography for children that talks about young Robert Fulton - the helpful, responsible boy who grew up to become a portrait and landscape artist, an engineer, and an inventor who constructed the first successful steamboat.
Peter Lundy has two joys in life: the rugged western plains where he has grown up and San Domingo, a Medicine Hat Stallion. The Indians believe such a horse is sacred--that neither bullet nor arrow can harm its rider. As they explore the prairie together, a bond forms between Peter and San Domingo that can never be broken. But Peter's father, Jethro Lundy, knows only one love: bargaining. He trades San Domingo for a thoroughbred. How can Peter ever forgive his father? Is his only choice is to leave home forever?
Movie men have come to Chincoteague to film the annual Pony Penning, and Paul and Maureen are thrilled--until they learn that the producers want to buy their beloved Misty. Reluctantly, they agree to sell in order to send their uncle to college. But how will they ever fill the lonely place that Misty leaves behind? Finding an orphaned colt helps Paul and Maureen deal with their loss, and they soon discover that little Sea Star needs them just as much as they need him.
A raging storm slashes across Assateague and Chincoteague islands. Water is everywhere! The wild ponies and the people must battle for their lives. In the midst of the storm, Misty--the famous mare of Chincoteague is about to give birth. Paul and Maureen are frantic with worry as the storm rages. Will Misty and her colt survive? This is the thrilling story of the hurricane that destroyed the wild herds of Assateague, and how they were rebuilt. The story is a true one, and Marguerite Henry fills it with understanding. Here, side by side, are humor and pathos, elation and despair, and victory arising from defeat.
Palea and Nuka, two Eskimo children, are embarking with their own sled team to the sea ice and the northern camps. But during a terrible storm they become separated from their family. Can Nuka make a firm and solid igloo, will they find their wayward sled dog pup, can Nuka find food for them, and can Nuka prove that he is a man by shooting a bull caribou?
The magnificent Lipizzan stallions of Vienna come to life as never before in this exciting story from Newbery Award-winning author Marguerite Henry, back in print by popular demand.A young boy named Hans dreams of one day working with the famed stallions of Lipizza. But coming from a family of bakers, Hans is discouraged from ever becoming a rider. That is, until the day he is invited to watch the extraordinary Ballet of Lipizzaners--from the Imperial Box!--and his life is changed forever. Marguerite Henry artfully includes authentic details about the skillful training of both horse and rider as she weaves the story of Hans and his beloved Lipizzan stallion, Borina. The brilliance of Hans's dazzling public performances and his devotion to the art of classical riding make this story uniquely rich in history and horsemanship--a tale to be treasured by horse lovers of all ages. This beloved story from Newbery Award-winning author Marguerite Henry features the original text and illustrations with gorgeous new cover art.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.