- Table View
- List View
Note from the publisher: Because of his deep interest in and knowledge of American history, Hervey Allen undertook to write a saga of colonial times-- in Pennsylvania, the Ohio country, and New York State. It was to be called The Disinherited. The protagonist was one Salathiel Albine. Mr. Allen finished the first three volumes of this great novel: The Forest and the Fort, Bedford Village, and Toward the Morning. He had written a section of the fourth volume-- The City in the Dawn-- when death cut short his labors. Fortunately the completed chapters bring Salathiel Albine at last from the forest to the city, the symbol of man's pilgrimage from savagery to civilization. To make this single-volume edition possible, much careful and judicious editing has had to be done in order to retain the vitality of Mr. Allen's fascinating story and of his deep insight into life and people. This editing was done by Julie Eidesheim, who worked closely with Mr. Allen throughout the writing of these books. THE CITY IN THE DAWN -- Containing: THE FOREST AND THE FORT, BEDFORD VILLAGE and TOWARD THE MORNING. A saga of colonial times-- in Pennsylvania, the Ohio country, and New York State. We follow Salathiel Albine through the New American "West", meeting people, distrust, war and perhaps love.
This book vividly chronicles the experiences of the Twenty-eighth Division in the summer of 1918. Made up primarily of Pennsylvania National Guardsmen, the Twenty-eighth Division saw extensive action on the Western Front. The story begins with Lieutenant Allen and his men marching inland from the French coast and ends with their participation in the disastrous battle for the village of Fismette.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.