- Table View
- List View
Liberal internationalism has been the West's foreign policy agenda since the ColdWar, and the West has long occupied the top rung of a hierarchical system. In this book, Hilton Rootargues that international relations, like other complex ecosystems, exists in a constantly shiftinglandscape, in which hierarchical structures are giving way to systems of networked interdependence,changing every facet of global interaction. Accordingly, policymakers will need a new way tounderstand the process of change. Root suggests that the science of complex systems offers ananalytical framework to explain the unforeseen development failures, governance trends, and allianceshifts in today's global political economy. Root examines both the networkedsystems that make up modern states and the larger, interdependent landscapes they share. Usingsystems analysis -- in which institutional change and economic development are understood asself-organizing complexities -- he offers an alternative view of institutional resilience andpersistence. From this perspective, Root considers the divergence of East and West; the emergence ofthe European state, its contrast with the rise of China, and the network properties of theirrespective innovation systems; the trajectory of democracy in developing regions; and the systemicimpact of China on the liberal world order. Complexity science, Root argues, will not explainhistorical change processes with algorithmic precision, but it may offer explanations that match themessy richness of those processes.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.