- Table View
- List View
Liberal internationalism has been the West's foreign policy agenda since the ColdWar, and the West has long occupied the top rung of a hierarchical system. In this book, Hilton Rootargues that international relations, like other complex ecosystems, exists in a constantly shiftinglandscape, in which hierarchical structures are giving way to systems of networked interdependence,changing every facet of global interaction. Accordingly, policymakers will need a new way tounderstand the process of change. Root suggests that the science of complex systems offers ananalytical framework to explain the unforeseen development failures, governance trends, and allianceshifts in today's global political economy. Root examines both the networkedsystems that make up modern states and the larger, interdependent landscapes they share. Usingsystems analysis -- in which institutional change and economic development are understood asself-organizing complexities -- he offers an alternative view of institutional resilience andpersistence. From this perspective, Root considers the divergence of East and West; the emergence ofthe European state, its contrast with the rise of China, and the network properties of theirrespective innovation systems; the trajectory of democracy in developing regions; and the systemicimpact of China on the liberal world order. Complexity science, Root argues, will not explainhistorical change processes with algorithmic precision, but it may offer explanations that match themessy richness of those processes.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.