- Table View
- List View
Vivir bajo una identidad ficticia y arriesgar su vida eran parte del trabajo diario de HipÓlito Acosta, agente del gobierno de los Estados Unidos. Trabajaba regularmente en operaciones clandestinas de gran importancia, infiltrando las bandas criminales de contrabando de inmigrantes y los carteles del narcotrÁfico mexicano. Las investigaciones de Acosta son legendarias tanto entre las autoridades como entre los miembros de los carteles criminales que contribuyÓ a neutralizar. Acosta se hizo cruzar ilegalmente de MÉxico a Chicago en un camiÓn lleno de inmigrantes pobres; se ganÓ la confianza de una banda internacional de falsificadores; se mezclÓ con algunos de los narcotraficantes mÁs sanguinarios de MÉxico; y fue el objetivo de numerosos complots de asesinato por parte de los criminales a los que enviÓ a la cÁrcel. El cazador de sombras se lee como una novela policÍaca. Este libro, mÁs que un viaje por los bajos fondos de la frontera entre MÉxico y los Estados Unidos, es una conmovedora revelaciÓn de lo que tiene que sobrellevar un agente para garantizar que la ley se aplique y para mostrar el lado humano de la inmigraciÓn.
Living under an assumed identity and risking his life were all in a day's work for U.S. Government Agent Hipolito Acosta. He worked regularly in high-stakes undercover operations infiltrating Mexico's murderous immigrant smuggling rings and drug cartels. Acosta's investigations are legendary, both inside law enforcement and the crime cartels he helped neutralize. He had himself smuggled from Mexico to Chicago with a truckload of poor immigrants; worked his way into the confidences of a gang of international counterfeiters; socialized with some of Mexico's most vicious drug lords; arrested a female smuggler by luring her across the U.S. border for an amorous rendezvous; and was the target of multiple murder plots by the criminals he put in jail. For three decades, Hipolito Acosta's work routinely made national headlines, and he quickly gained a reputation as a daring crime fighter who used his intelligence and audacity to stay one step ahead of those who would kill him if his cover were ever blown. Acosta's stories read like chapters from a page-turning crime novel, but The Shadow Catcher is more than a front-seat ride through the criminal underworld along the U.S./Mexico border. This heartbreaking exposé goes beyond sensational headlines and medals of honor to divulge what an agent endures in order to ensure that U.S. law is enforced and to reveal the unseen human side of illegal immigration.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.