- Table View
- List View
From the Book Jacket: "A richly researched and written book with an unusual appeal." -Publishers Weekly "This book is a treat for everyone who knows or cares about horses." -Cleveland Amory No wild animal captures the spirit of North America quite so powerfully as the wild horse-nor has any faced such diverse and potent enemies. In this provocative account, Hope Ryden-who helped to ensure the passage of the Wild and Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act, which grants mustangs special protection-combs the history of these proud and noble horses; Descended from the Spanish horses ridden by the conquistadors, they evolved into the tough and intelligent ponies that Indians-and later, explorers and cowboys-learned to rely on. From the period when wholesale extermination of the buffalo was underway until recent times, commercial and political interests have sought to eliminate the wild horses as varmints. In the latest update to this classic story Ryden tells of the successes: and failures in the past ten years of regulation, and has added stunning new color photographs. The subject of a front-page article in The New York Times. when it was first published, america's last wild horses continues to be a compelling testament to the life of a uniquely American symbol of grace and wildness, and is a must read for horse lovers and Western history enthusiast everywhere.
From the Book Jacket: To understand any domesticated animal, it is useful to understand how its wild counterpart lives. Watch lions and you will see your cat. Study wolves and you will know your dog. And observe wild mustangs and you will gain insight into your horse. Hope Ryden did just that. For three decades she has made repeated field trips to wild horse country to observe and photograph the activities of free-roaming mustangs. In conversational essays and with stunning, up-close photographs, Ms. Ryden presents readers with fascinating observations of the social hierarchies, survival strategies, and habits of wild horses. She also recounts personal adventures, some terrifying, some funny, and some mysterious. The result is a book as thoughtful as it is beautiful and as informative as it is exciting. Readers will never again look at a domestic horse in the same way. HOPE RYDEN is one of the foremost authorities on America's wild horses. She helped to draft federal legislation to protect them and has served as an expert witness in court on their behalf. This is her fourth nonfiction book on wild horses, and her articles and photographs on the subject have appeared in National Geographic and other publications. Ms. Ryden has also authored a novel, Wild Horse Summer, set in the Pryor Mountains, where most of the pictures in this book were taken.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.