- Table View
- List View
From the Book Jacket: "A richly researched and written book with an unusual appeal." -Publishers Weekly "This book is a treat for everyone who knows or cares about horses." -Cleveland Amory No wild animal captures the spirit of North America quite so powerfully as the wild horse-nor has any faced such diverse and potent enemies. In this provocative account, Hope Ryden-who helped to ensure the passage of the Wild and Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act, which grants mustangs special protection-combs the history of these proud and noble horses; Descended from the Spanish horses ridden by the conquistadors, they evolved into the tough and intelligent ponies that Indians-and later, explorers and cowboys-learned to rely on. From the period when wholesale extermination of the buffalo was underway until recent times, commercial and political interests have sought to eliminate the wild horses as varmints. In the latest update to this classic story Ryden tells of the successes: and failures in the past ten years of regulation, and has added stunning new color photographs. The subject of a front-page article in The New York Times. when it was first published, america's last wild horses continues to be a compelling testament to the life of a uniquely American symbol of grace and wildness, and is a must read for horse lovers and Western history enthusiast everywhere.
From the Book Jacket: To understand any domesticated animal, it is useful to understand how its wild counterpart lives. Watch lions and you will see your cat. Study wolves and you will know your dog. And observe wild mustangs and you will gain insight into your horse. Hope Ryden did just that. For three decades she has made repeated field trips to wild horse country to observe and photograph the activities of free-roaming mustangs. In conversational essays and with stunning, up-close photographs, Ms. Ryden presents readers with fascinating observations of the social hierarchies, survival strategies, and habits of wild horses. She also recounts personal adventures, some terrifying, some funny, and some mysterious. The result is a book as thoughtful as it is beautiful and as informative as it is exciting. Readers will never again look at a domestic horse in the same way. HOPE RYDEN is one of the foremost authorities on America's wild horses. She helped to draft federal legislation to protect them and has served as an expert witness in court on their behalf. This is her fourth nonfiction book on wild horses, and her articles and photographs on the subject have appeared in National Geographic and other publications. Ms. Ryden has also authored a novel, Wild Horse Summer, set in the Pryor Mountains, where most of the pictures in this book were taken.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.