- Table View
- List View
After you've browsed through this little book, you will better understand why Ann Arbor has a greater quirk quotient than most places. To prove his point, your curious author has dug up bits of esoterica - odd, amusing, and little-known strands that make up the city's variegated fabric. Sure, you live here, but how much do you really know about Ann Arbor? Can you name your hometown football legends, Playboy Magazine playmates, 1960s radicals, NASA astronauts, the local boxer who fought Jack Dempsey, the brainy UM graduate who attempted the perfect crime, or the local girl who flirted with Humphrey Bogart in "The Big Sleep"? Who was the native industrialist who helped build the Panama Canal? Or the Ann Arborite who created the world's largest technology company? How did a border dispute lead to the greatest rivalry in college football? Where is the city's only Frank Lloyd Wright-designed house? What is Ann Arbor's connection a Presidential assassination? Readers learn the answers to these intriguing questions and much, much more. Fascinating tangents and tidbits in purposely random sequence (with generous cross-references) create a ready-to-explore trail of knowledge about Ann Arbor and its environs, informing and entertaining, correcting myths and misconceptions, mostly revealing an unexpected treasure trove that brings a culture and a place into sharp focus.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.