The story of an unhappy little girl, her invalid cousin, and the healing power of friendship and love. Reading level: 4.8. From the Trade Paperback edition. [This text is listed as an example that meets Common Core Standards in English language arts in grades 4-5 at http://www.corestandards.org.]
First there were mysterious messages. Someone who knows a lot about movie star Michaele Caraway's past is sending her unsigned notes. At first they appear to be innocent fan letters, but then they turn threatening. Next the accidents started happening. To someone as superstitious as Michaele, it seems as if her new play is jinxed. But Sebastian Barth knows the backstage mishaps aren't accidents at all. Who's out to get the movie star? Sebastian has to find the answer, or opening night may mean the final curtain for the star.
It's a boring, rainy afternoon -- the perfect time for Teddy Bear to share his scrapbook of memories with the little girls who owns him. And what memories Teddy Bear has! He's ridden a bucking bronco in the rodeo, been an ace crime reporter -- he's even starred in a movie! No wonder he's a bit worn and shabby. <P> For an ordinary little girl with flat brown hair, it's hard to imagine being important to someone with Teddy's glamorous past. But there's always room in Teddy's life -- and his scrapbook -- for someone who loves him just the way he is.
Meet Joe Bunch. Lovable misfit and celebrity wannabe from Paintbrush Falls, New York. Like his longtime best friends Addie, Skeezie, and Bobby, Joe's been called names all his life. So when he's given the assignment to write his alphabiography -- the story of his life from A to Z -- Joe has his doubts. This whole thing could be serious ammunition for bullying if it falls into the wrong hands. But Joe discovers there's more to the assignment -- and his life -- than meets the eye. Especially when he gets to the letter C, which stands for Colin Briggs, the coolest guy in the seventh grade (seriously) -- and Joe's secret boyfriend. By the time Joe gets to the letter Z, he's pretty much bared his soul about everything. And Joe's okay with that because he likes who he is. He's Totally Joe, and that's the best thing for him to be. Here is an exuberant, funny, totally original story of one boy's coming out -- and coming-of-age.
Harold the dog thinks the Monroes' new pet rabbit is just a cute little bunny. But when the vegetables in the Monroes' kitchen start turning white, Chester the cat is worried. Could Bunnicula be a vampire bunny? Chester will stop at nothing to protect the Monroes and their vegetables from the threat.
Perfect Strangers Every day, she sits at the top of the stairs leading to the beach. Always writing in her little notebook. Always watching. Watching the loving big brother, so caring and attentive to his little sister. Watching the handsome lifeguard with his golden tan. But no matter how closely she watches, she can't begin to know the secrets behind the perfect facades of their lives. And they can't begin to know the truth about the strange, sad girl who each day sits alone -- and watches.
After Eric moves away he sends cryptic notes to Sebastian and David, who attempt to make sense of them by investigating a mysterious death.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.