- Table View
- List View
In 1908 thirteen-year-old Dixie's new life on the Oklahoma frontier is complicated by a war of nerves between her and John Three, a young Kiowa Indian who insists that his pony was sold to her without his permission.
A pampered young black girl who has been mysteriously transported back to the days of slavery struggles to escape her bondage.
Twelve-year-old Savannah wonders if her little brother Poco, who sleepwalks, is setting the mysterious fires that are leveling the fishermen's shacks on the Shackleford Bank near their island home off the North Carolina coast.
At the end of the Civil War, a young house slave on a small North Carolina plantation searches for her mother who was mysteriously sold when Tancy was a baby.
Eleven-year-old Tiffany, youngest member of a poor family in rural North Carolina, takes her first steps toward adulthood.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.