Hundreds of thousands of teachers have used this highly practical guide to help K-12 students enlarge their vocabulary and get involved in noticing, understanding, and using new words. Grounded in research, the book explains how to select words for instruction, introduce their meanings, and create engaging learning activities that promote both word knowledge and reading comprehension. The authors are trusted experts who draw on extensive experience in diverse classrooms and schools. Sample lessons and vignettes, children's literature suggestions, end-of-chapter summaries, and "Your Turn" learning activities enhance the book's utility as a classroom resource, professional development tool, or course text.New to This Edition*Reflects over a decade of advances in research-based vocabulary instruction.*Chapters on vocabulary and writing; assessment; and differentiating instruction for struggling readers and English language learners, including coverage of response to intervention (RTI).*Expanded discussions of content-area vocabulary and multiple-meaning words.*Many additional examples showing what robust instruction looks like in action.*Appendix with a useful menu of instructional activities.
This book has stories about real animals that grow and change. It has stories about imaginary animals, too -- some who are silly and some who are super! It also has stories about children just like you who love their pets and learn to always try their best.
This Student Book is full of lively, fun-filled activities that provide ample opportunities for children to practice using new words. The vocabulary words in this book are meant to increase children's oral vocabulary skills, so the activities are designed to be led by the teacher. Use the teacher notes at the bottom of each page in conjunction with the Word Chats in the Teacher's Guide to facilitate engaging discussions surrounding these activities.
A Harcourt Reading/Language Arts Program textbook.
As you read Changing Patterns, you will meet characters who learn about themselves and others. You will also learn skills that will help you become a better reader. As your reading skills grow, you just might be surprised at how many changing patterns you begin to see.
Language textbook for 5th graders.
In Just For You, you will read about characters whose differences make them special. You will find out how helping others can be fun and can make you feel good about yourself. You will learn how many different things in nature grow and change.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.