Hundreds of thousands of teachers have used this highly practical guide to help K-12 students enlarge their vocabulary and get involved in noticing, understanding, and using new words. Grounded in research, the book explains how to select words for instruction, introduce their meanings, and create engaging learning activities that promote both word knowledge and reading comprehension. The authors are trusted experts who draw on extensive experience in diverse classrooms and schools. Sample lessons and vignettes, children's literature suggestions, end-of-chapter summaries, and "Your Turn" learning activities enhance the book's utility as a classroom resource, professional development tool, or course text.New to This Edition*Reflects over a decade of advances in research-based vocabulary instruction.*Chapters on vocabulary and writing; assessment; and differentiating instruction for struggling readers and English language learners, including coverage of response to intervention (RTI).*Expanded discussions of content-area vocabulary and multiple-meaning words.*Many additional examples showing what robust instruction looks like in action.*Appendix with a useful menu of instructional activities.
This book has stories about real animals that grow and change. It has stories about imaginary animals, too -- some who are silly and some who are super! It also has stories about children just like you who love their pets and learn to always try their best.
This Student Book is full of lively, fun-filled activities that provide ample opportunities for children to practice using new words. The vocabulary words in this book are meant to increase children's oral vocabulary skills, so the activities are designed to be led by the teacher. Use the teacher notes at the bottom of each page in conjunction with the Word Chats in the Teacher's Guide to facilitate engaging discussions surrounding these activities.
A Harcourt Reading/Language Arts Program textbook.
As you read Changing Patterns, you will meet characters who learn about themselves and others. You will also learn skills that will help you become a better reader. As your reading skills grow, you just might be surprised at how many changing patterns you begin to see.
Language textbook for 5th graders.
In Just For You, you will read about characters whose differences make them special. You will find out how helping others can be fun and can make you feel good about yourself. You will learn how many different things in nature grow and change.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.