- Table View
- List View
Textbook on American history from Reconstruction to the 21st Century. Chapters include: American Beginnings to 1877, Bridge to the 20th Century (1877-1917), Modern America Emerges (1890-1920), The 1920s and the Great Depression (1919-1940), World War II and its Aftermath (1931-1960), Living with Great Turmoil (1954-1975), and Passage to a New Century (1968-2001).
From the earliest colonial times, the United States has been influenced by the events, people, and forms of government in other nations--and America has influenced world affairs. Today, relationships between the United States and other countries are more critical than ever, as modern communications and transportation have drawn the world closer together.
You're about to start an exciting journey around the world. You'll make this journey across maps and globes. The journey will first take you across the United States.
High School social studies textbook
History textbook. The people of the past speak directly to you, through their actual words and the objects they used. You will walk inside their houses and look inside their cooking pots. You'll follow them as they go to school, build cities, fight wars, and work out settlements for peace.
Throughout history people have expressed their deepest feelings and beliefs through literature. Reading these stories, legends, poems, and shorter passages that appear in the lessons will help you experience what life was like for people of other times and places.
U.S. History textbook
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.