- Table View
- List View
ABOUT TIME offers a delightful return to the world of time travel and light comedy that distinguished Jack Finney's all-time classic TIME AND AGAIN. The protagonists of these 12 stories are well-meaning but at odds with their surroundings and their lives. The time to which they escape--through time travel--doesn't fulfill their expectations in the way they had hoped, but sometimes they find their dreams.
In Finney's cult classic Time and Again (1970), Manhattan adman Simon Morley joined a secret government time-travel project, transported himself back to the New York City of 1882, fell in love and decided to remain in the past. This entertaining sequel traces Simon's attempts to alter a course of events in 1912 and thereby prevent WWI.
On a quiet fall evening in the small, peaceful town of Mill Valley, California, Dr. Miles Bennell discovered an insidious, horrifying plot. Silently, subtly, almost imperceptibly, alien life-forms were taking over the bodies and minds of his neighbors, his friends, his family, the woman he loved -- the world as he knew it. First published in 1955, this classic thriller of the ultimate alien invasion and the triumph of the human spirit over an invisible enemy inspired three major motion pictures.
Most of the twelve stories in The Third Level are strange. The title story is about a man who finds the third level of a train station, which exists in 1894. A couple who could be from the future move next door to the narrator of Such Interesting Neighbors, while in Second Chance a young man's classic car whisks him back to town in the past. Most of the stories are about time travel or displacement of time, but Something in a Cloud and A Dash of Spring are romances; Of Missing Persons concerns itself with teleportation to another, better world; Cousin Lem's Wonderful Adjective Cellar is a whimsical comment on language; and Contents of the Dead Man's Pocket is a tale of terror and suspense about a man on a window ledge. Jack Finney has written each story in a way that makes the fantasies involved seem almost real. His style is leisurely yet not a word is wasted. These are bizarre and delightful stories.
This handsome new book combines three Finney favorites in an omnibus edition that brilliantly displays his bold and unmistakable imagination. Certain to delight anyone with a penchant for penetrating imaginary realms of fantasy and adventure. Included are The Woodrow Wilson Dime, The Night People, and Marion's Wall.
"Sleep. And when you awake everything you know of the twentieth century will be gone from your mind. Tonight is January 21, 1882. There are no such things as automobiles, no planes, computers, television. 'Nuclear' appears in no dictionary. You have never heard the name Richard Nixon. "Did illustrator Si Morley really step out of his twentieth-century apartment one night -- right into the winter of 1882? The U. S. Government believed it, especially when Si returned with a portfolio of brand-new sketches and tintype photos of a world that no longer existed -- or did it?"
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.