Autobiography: In this charming childhood memoir Anne Jackson tells the fetching, poignant tale of how a spunky little red-haired kid made her way from a backyard talent show to Broadway, to become one of the most accomplished and respected actresses of our time.
Thirteen previously unpublished short plays now available for the first time. Tennessee Williams had a distinct talent for writing short plays and, not surprisingly, this remarkable new collection of never-before-published one-acts includes some of his most poignant and hilarious characters: the indefatigable, witty and tough drag queens of And Tell Sad Stories of the Deaths of Queens...; the strange little man behind the nom de plume Mister Paradise; and the extravagant mistress who cheats on her married man in The Pink Bedroom. Most were written in the 1930s and early 1940s when Williams was already flexing his theatrical imagination. Chosen from over seventy unpublished one-acts, these are some of Williams's finest; several have premiered recently at The Hartford Stage Co., The Kennedy Center, the Manhattan Theatre Club and the Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival. Included in this volume: These Are the Stairs You Got to Watch Mister Paradise The Palooka Escape Why Do You Smoke So Much, Lily? Summer At the Lake The Big Game The Pink Bedroom The Fat Man's Wife Thank You, Kind Spirit The Municipal Abattoir Adam and Eve on a Ferry And Tell Sad Stories of the Deaths of Queens... Long associated with Williams, acclaimed stage and film actors Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson provide a fresh and challenging foreword for actors, directors, and readers.
In May 2008, Anne Jackson asked a question onher blog, "What is one thing you feel you can't say in church?" Hundreds responded. Everyone had a story.Permission to Speak Freely is the unique new project and movement of author AnneJackson, who is finished with keeping brokenness in the dark. Bringing to lightthe original intent of God's sanctuary as a place of help and healing, Annereveals that through confession, both to God and to others, we can live livesthat are whole and healed.Told with disarming transparency, Anne shareswhat led to her own addictions and the ensuing lifestyle that left her woundedand withdrawn, but ultimately rescued and redeemed. She includes dramaticstories of others who also learned to abandon their fear, pride, and masks; toidentify their hurts; and to find the courage to speak freely.Their confessions, submitted as mixed mediapieces, photography, and sketches, were collected from people across the world,and are included throughout the book. Readers will share in the opportunity tofind their own path to redemption and freedom.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.