- Table View
- List View
This refreshing, introductory textbook covers both standard techniques for solving ordinary differential equations, as well as introducing students to qualitative methods such as phase-plane analysis. The presentation is concise, informal yet rigorous; it can be used either for 1-term or 1-semester courses. Topics such as Euler's method, difference equations, the dynamics of the logistic map, and the Lorenz equations, demonstrate the vitality of the subject, and provide pointers to further study. The author also encourages a graphical approach to the equations and their solutions, and to that end the book is profusely illustrated. The files to produce the figures using MATLAB are all provided in an accompanying website. Numerous worked examples provide motivation for and illustration of key ideas and show how to make the transition from theory to practice. Exercises are also provided to test and extend understanding: solutions for these are available for teachers.
The rigorous mathematical theory of the equations of fluid dynamics has been a focus of intense activity in recent years. This volume is the product of a workshop held at the University of Warwick to consolidate, survey and further advance the subject. The Navier-Stokes equations feature prominently: the reader will find new results concerning feedback stabilisation, stretching and folding, and decay in norm of solutions to these fundamental equations of fluid motion. Other topics covered include new models for turbulent energy cascade, existence and uniqueness results for complex fluids and certain interesting solutions of the SQG equation. The result is an accessible collection of survey articles and more traditional research papers that will serve both as a helpful overview for graduate students new to the area and as a useful resource for more established researchers.
This work helps readers master the science and art of performance consulting, looking at analytical and assessment techniques as well as consultative and partnering practices. This second edition covers dozens of new tools and techniques, with numerous templates, checklists, and graphics available on the publisher's web site. There is a new chapter on how to proactively identify performance consulting opportunities. Another new chapter answers questions the authors have been asked frequently in the years since the first edition was published. Exercises, key points, and a glossary are included, along with real-life examples of people who have put the techniques described in the book into practice. The readership for the book includes professionals in training, human resources, and organizational development. The authors are consultants. Annotation ©2008 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Organizations are becoming increasingly complex, and the requirements to manage and optimize the people working in these organizations are also becoming more complex.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.