- Table View
- List View
A picaresque novel of the American West in 1803. An historical comedy about two bumbling botanists sent into the southern wilderness by Thomas Jefferson to look for something that isn't there. A novel in the spirit of Lewis and Clark (who make cameo appearences). Replete with wild Indians, river pirates, the kidnapped son of King Louis XVI, the lost colony of Roanoke, and much more. A non-stop romp full of life and humor and the sensibility of early America.
This book traces the development of modern American car culture and the architecture and social life of cities and suburbs that developed around it.
Kunstler discusses the implications of peak oil, where oil production will eventually start to decrease as most of the easily-accessible oil has been used already. He gives some historical background and then discusses various proposed alternatives to oil and natural gas for providing transportation and electricity. He is skeptical that anything will be able to replace the abundant supply of energy that has been supplied by oil, with the possible exception of nuclear energy for electricity, and believes that the age of globalization will come to an end with declining standards of living. He discusses what he sees as the implications for different parts of the country and the world, each having their unique situations.
With vision, clarity of thought, and a pragmatic worldview, Kunstler argues that the time for magical thinking and hoping for miracles is over, and the time to begin preparing for the long emergency in America has begun.
"World Made by Hand is the story of Robert Earle, a former software executive turned carpenter, and his friends and loved ones, and what happens to them one summer in a country that has changed profoundly. The New Faith order, a radical religious sect fleeing the troubles of their native Virginia, has bought the vacant high school and moved in. Their leader, the darkly comical Brother Jobe, takes center stage in the town's affairs at the expense of the troubled local minister Loren Holder. A gang of lowlife ex-motorheads runs the old town dump as a mining operation and bullies everyone else around the county. Meanwhile, the townspeople struggle to feed their families and hold what's left of their community together." "When the crew of a trading boat on the Hudson River goes missing, Robert is enlisted to find them. His strange journey downriver and the events swirling in Union Grove play out against a panorama of abandoned highways and empty houses, horses mowing in the hayfields, and neighbors working shoulder-to-shoulder at things that matter. A powerful tale of love, loss, violence, and desperation, World Made by Hand depicts a surprisingly lyrical, tender, and hopeful new America struggling to be born." "The future is not what you expect. But it is not necessarily something to fear."--BOOK JACKET.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.