- Table View
- List View
Fifteen-year-old Julian Drew is locked into his garage bedroom every night by his brutal father and abusive stepmother, made to pee in a can, starved, belittled, and sometimes beaten. He buys a notebook (NB) and begins writing in a simple code to someone he calls U. Word by mysterious word. He writes of his pain, his fragile contacts with a teacher and a troubled girl called S and the moment when he turns from writing to action and embarks on a remarkable journey to solve the puzzle of his life.
In ancient times, Pompeii was one of the largest cities in the Roman Empire. Its 20,000 inhabitants lived in the shadow of Vesuvius, which they believed was nothing more than a mountain. But Vesuvius was a volcano. And on the morning of August 24, A. D. 79, Vesuvius began to erupt. Within twenty-four hours, the entire city of Pompeii and many of its citizens had been utterly annihilated. It was not until hundreds of years later that Pompeii saw daylight again, as archaeological excavations began to unearth what had been buried under layers of volcanic rubble. Digging crews expected to find buildings and jewelry and other treasures, but they found something unexpected, too: the imprints of lost Pompeiians, their deaths captured as if by photographic images in volcanic ash.
In 1952, Danish workmen digging in a peat bog made an astonishing discovery. Their shovels struck the head of a dead man, his face flattened by the weight of the peat and his skin as brown as the earth in which he lay. Who was he and how had he come to be there? Scientists examined him and learned the answers to these questions and many more, including how he died and even what he ate on his last day. In this fascinating glimpse into the world of the bog people, Deem explains to readers who those people were, how they lived, what they believed, and how peat bogs preserve bodies.
The author of "Bodies from the Ash" and "Bodies from the Bog" takes readers on a captivating and creepy journey to learn about glaciers, hulking masses of moving ice that are now offering up many secrets of the past.
By any measure, El Salvador is a country of precious and beautiful things. It is also a country of dramatic natural wonders, including volcanoes and rain forests. Many special historical sites are found there as well. The original name of El Salvador, long before it became a nation, was Cuscatlán, or "The Land of Precious Things." A few thousand years ago, a tribe related to the Maya Indians moved there.
Discusses what treasure is and how to go about finding it.
In this funny, fact-filled book, author James M. Deem takes readers on a mummy-discovery tour that spans centuries and continents. He explains exactly what mummies are, how they are created, where they have been found, how scientists investigate them, and what they tell us about the people who lived long ago.
This book explores the myths and facts about extrasensory perception, or ESP, relates the experiences of telepathic persons, and explains how to develop your own ESP.
- Covers the lives, accomplishments, and political careers of the American presidents. - Pre-evaluated Report Links back up each book.
Covers the life, accomplishments, and political career of the American president Zachary Taylor.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.