- Table View
- List View
"In Search of Excellence influenced the managers of the last decade. Now, a new book gives leadership insights to meet the unprecedented demands of the 1990s." "Ralph Stayer is a courageous, pioneering CEO and the hero of Tom Peters' management video "The Leadership Alliance." James Belasco is a visionary, renowned consultant and author of the groundbreaking business book Teaching the Elephant to Dance. Together these two authors inspire you with far-sighted, revolutionary concepts and guide you with nuts-and-bolts prescriptions ... as they show you how to rise above the old ways of 1980s to soar to new levels of business success in the tough times ahead." "Belasco and Stayer explain why executives are unable to change their organizations quickly enough. Weighted down by old leadership paradigms, managers act like head buffalo, charging blindly ahead in fits and starts, urging the herd to follow. But hard-driving managers and their herds suffer the same fate as the buffalo of the plains: they are outmaneuvered by the more nimble, quick-thinking competition and predators in today's fast-paced global economic landscape." "Drawing upon their own highly successful business careers, Belasco and Stayer detail the new leadership role for executives. They call their managerial ethic Leading the Journey. In their model of the new, highly flexible organization, everyone is focused on delighting customers. The manager learns and grows while responding to changing circumstances. Instead of a herd, people become more like a flight of self-directed geese flying in formation. Everyone knows the common direction, is willing to assume leadership when necessary, and can rearrange the structure when the needs of the customer demand it. Individuals start to do their jobs better not because some leader orders it, but because they want to excel. In other words, letting employees lead produces new levels of excellence that benefit everyone." "Then Flight of the Buffalo demonstrates how this new leadership model can be applied directly to the most pressing business decisions. From two people who have actually done it you learn how to set value-added prices, identify and dominate profitable niche markets, anticipate the future and prepare for it, and set up bonus and profit sharing plans that really motivate and measure productivity in even the most difficult times." "Far removed from today's gimmicky how-to business books, Flight of the Buffalo is a mature work from two extraordinary business minds - a book meant for those who are ready to enter a new era of business success."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Soaring with the Phoenix: Renewing the Vision, Reviving the Spirit, and Re-Creating the Success of your Companyby James A. Belasco Jerre Stead
Like the mythical Phoenix, organizations must first die in order to be more effectively reborn. Rather than wasting efforts on changing current cultures, this book lays out a proven, systematic methodology which is customer focused, knowledge based, and accountability driven.
"But, we've always done it that way." This is a warning sign, a symptom of impending disaster for any organization.Shackled, like powerful elephants, to the past, organizations rob themselves of the ingenuity required to meet new competitive challenges and escape the "re" dimension trap of "re-engineering, re-organization and re-structuring that concentrate on short term fixes rather than long term solutions.Teaching the Elephant to Dance is a practical, hands-on guide for creating the right change in any organization, large or small, corporate or governmental, manufacturing or service based. Filled with illuminating case studies, it shows how to devise new corporate visions and strategies... how to overcome inertia .. and how to form labor-management partnerships. Clear, authoritative, practical and inspiring, Teaching the Elephant to Dance provides a step-by-step guide for making the impossible happen.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.