- Table View
- List View
The small island of England has produced some of the world's greatest literature. No other nation has given us the equal to Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Bunyan, or Tennyson. Perhaps the reason for this is that the introduction of learning and English literature began with the introduction of Christianity to England. Likewise, the rebirth of learning in the Renaissance, after the darkness of the Middle Ages, coincided with the rediscovery of the Scriptures and the Reformation of the church in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Reading is one of the most important and delightful occupations of the human mind. Literature is the expression of life in words of truth and beauty; it is the written record of man's spirit, of his thoughts, emotions, and aspirations. It is the history of the human soul, the expression of spiritual truth by means of concrete imagery. Literature has artistic, symbolic, and permanent qualities and is characterized by universal interest and personal style. The object of reading good literature, aside from the delight it gives us, is to know man, that is, the soul of man rather than just his actions. Books preserve for the human race the ideals upon which all our civilization is founded. The literature of a nation comprises the entire body of its thoughts, discoveries, memories, fancies, imaginations, reasonings, and aspirations as these find permanent expression in letters.
With an intention to increase the student's appreciation of literature and help him develop a love for reading this edition provides enjoyable prose and poetry for student reading.
Each anthology in the A Beka Book literature series is a valuable tool to the Christian young person seeking to increase his knowledge of good literature. The student will be exposed to a wide variety of short stories, poems, essays, and plays and to a good balance of serious and humorous selections from some of the finest writers of world literature. Works included in this series have been chosen for their literary and moral merit. Although A Beka Book may not endorse the entire contents of each selection or the work from which it is taken, selections reflect Christian principles with an emphasis on character-building and life-enriching themes. * Part of the learning process is developing proper discernment according to the truths of the Scripture, realizing that while a Christian may not be able to entirely approve of an author's beliefs, lifestyle, or work, he can appreciate the author's God-given talent. Selections included in Themes in Literature are intended to increase the student's appreciation of literature and help him develop a love for reading. The main goal of the text is to provide enjoyable prose and poetry for student reading.
World Literature introduces students to the wonderful variety of classic literature produced through the centuries. The first ten units showcase a medley of writing styles that illustrate various literary devices or themes. The last six units present literature by region and era. This breakdown helps the student to gain a full understanding of literature's variety, beauty, and history.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.