- Table View
- List View
Everyone knows that writing can be improved by the simple process of reviewing, editing, and rewriting, but many struggle with how to go about critiquing their own work-be it a letter to a friend, an important business document, or an academic essay. Fortunately, help is at hand in REWRITE RIGHT!, the definitive guide to polishing your prose. According to writing authority Jan Venolia, the skills needed to revise your work are surprisingly easy to learn and a cinch to incorporate into everyday writing routines. This practical guide describes in clear, direct language how to effectively rewrite a report, letter, essay, or article, so that writers of all levels can improve the quality of their work and harness the power of language.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Replaces previous edition.In today'¬?s hectic world of cell phones, email, and instant messages, is it still worthwhile to know how to write a good letter? Absolutely! An attractive, well-written letter can grab the reader'¬?s attention and hold it long after someone else'¬?s email has been discarded. It can make a strong, lasting impression on a hiring manager, potential client, or faraway friend who receives it. In other words, the letter is still an important professional and personal communication tool, one that too few people know about these days. In this completely revised and updated edition of BETTER LETTERS, writing authority Jan Venolia dispenses expert advice on creating the perfect letter, covering composition, style, and format. With THE RIGHT LETTER! your message will rise above the rest. This handy, portable addition to the Right! series (650,000 copies sold) is an important guide to effective letter writing, including a section on email. With so many people complaining about the glut of email, spam, and misinformation, this reference is needed now more than ever. Previous editions of BETTER LETTERS have sold more than 80,000 copies.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Every writer needs help with words: choosing them, using them, spelling them correctly. When is optimal or optimum the better choice? Why use germane when relevant is, well, more relevant? Created for just such tortuous (torturous?) situations, this handy guide provides an A-to-Z listing of troublesome, confusing words, accompanied by clear examples and explanations to help avoid common mistakes. With a discussion on getting the most out of words, a helpful resource section, humorous illustrations, and clever bits of wordplay, this compact reference is an indispensable resource.The latest addition to Jan Venolia'¬?s Right! series, which has sold more than 600,000 copies.With the growing influence of email and other instant communication on the English language, a modern reference is more important than ever.Small and portable, this book is easier to carry and to use than some of the larger, bulkier reference works.The cover design for WRITE RIGHT! and REWRITE RIGHT! was selected to display in the AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts) 50 Books / 50 Covers Exhibition in 2001. The designer for this series (including The Right Word!) is Paul Kepple, director, Headcase Design, Philadelphia, PA.From the Trade Paperback edition.
In this age of electronic correspondence and self-produced documents, we need a useful and reliable writing guide more than ever. WRITE RIGHT! covers the essentials of good writing in a concise and easy-to-follow format. The new edition of this classic handbook takes you through the entire writing process, from understanding the parts of speech to constructing a correct sentence to fine-tuning the mechanics. And with clever drawings and amusing quotations to illustrate its points, WRITE RIGHT! shows that language can be fun as well as an effective communication tool. Whether it'¬?s used to find a quick answer to a nagging question or to develop stronger writing skills, this handy reference is the ideal resource for writers of all levels. Ä¢ Previous editions have sold over 500,000 copies. Ä¢ Includes a resource section with a list of helpful websites and a glossary to quickly define difficult terms.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.