- Table View
- List View
In response to requests from instructors and students for shorter and less expensive composition readers, this is "40 Model Essays" -- featuring material adapted from the successful "The Compact Reader".
At about half the price of other rhetorically arranged readers,40 Model Essays: A Portable Anthologycombines concise but thorough instruction in the methods of development with a well-chosen selection of classic and contemporary model readings for writers. The second edition features a fresh mix of new and current selections to complement class-proven favorites; new advice on forming a thesis statement; and a wealth of captivating new writing topics. This volume in the popular Bedford/St. Martin's series of Portable Anthologies and Guides offers a trademark combination of high quality and great value.
"A writer," says Saul Bellow, "is a reader moved to emulate." In a nutshell, the aim of The Bedford Reader is to move students to be writers, through reading and emulating the good writing of others.
One of the most widely adopted composition readers of all time, "The Bedford Reader "continues to engage and inspire students with remarkable selections, outstanding instructional material, and a unique "Writers on Writing" feature in which 50 of the book's writers comment on their process and their work. Thorough coverage of critical reading, effective writing, and working with sources guides students, now more than ever, through their own academic writing. And an exciting visual dimension shows that rhetorical methods apply to both images and text. " The Bedford Reader "is a favorite of students for the Kennedys' clarity and wit, of instructors for the flexible and realistic view of the rhetorical methods, and of both for the superior selections and perceptive commentaries by writers worth reading.
A compact version of one of the most widely adopted composition readers of all time "The Brief Bedford Reader" continues to engage and inspire with 50 remarkable selections, all the outstanding instructional material of the full-length text, and a unique "Writers on Writing" feature in which 32 of the book's writers comment on their process and their work. Thorough coverage of critical reading, effective writing, and working with sources guides students, now more than ever, through their own academic writing. And an exciting visual dimension shows that rhetorical methods apply to both images and text. "The Brief Bedford Reader" is a favorite of students for the Kennedys' clarity and wit, of instructors for the flexible and realistic view of the rhetorical methods, and of both for the superior selections and perceptive commentaries by writers worth reading.
This writer's handbook begins with an overview of the composition process, followed by detailed treatments of issues of clarity and style, sentence mechanics, spelling and punctuation, and research and documentation. Particular attention is also given to the use of computers, literary analysis, and business writing.
The Little, Brown Compact Handbook with Exercises packages the authority and currency of its best-selling parent, The Little, Brown Handbook, in a briefer book with spiral binding, tabbed dividers, and more than 150 exercises. Concise and accessible, The Little, Brown Compact Handbook helps writing students find what they need and then use what they find. It provides clear explanations of the writing process, grammar, usage, critical thinking, and argument. Its thorough, up-to-date coverage of research writing stresses the library as Web gateway, evaluation and synthesis of print and online sources, and intellectual honesty. It provides the latest documentation guidelines in MLA, APA, Chicago, and CSE styles.
The most trusted and authoritative name in handbooks, The Little, Brown Handbook,11/e is an easy-to-use reference that will answer any question you may have in grammar, writing, or research. It also includes exercises so you can practice skills. This edition offers the latest information on writing with computers, writing online, analyzing visuals, and researching effectively on the Internet. With clear explanations, a wealth of examples, and quick reference checklists and boxes, The Little, Brown Handbook will makes it easy to find what you need and use the information you find.
The Little, Brown Handbook provides reliable and thorough coverage of handbook basics--the writing process, grammar and usage, research and documentation--while also giving detailed discussions of critical reading, academic writing, reading and writing arguments, writing in the disciplines, and public writing. Widely used by both experienced and inexperienced writers, The Little, Brown Handbook works as both a comprehensive classroom text and an accessible reference guide.
The Little, Brown Handbook is a basic resource that will answer almost any question you have about writing. You can find how to get ideas, punctuate quotations, search the Internet, cite sources, or write a résumé. The handbook can help you not only in writing courses but also in other courses and outside school.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.