- Table View
- List View
Lamps of Courage: By Dim and Flaring Lamps, Home Fires Burning, A Light in the Night, Beside the Golden Doorby Joann A. Grote Colleen Reece Renee Demarco Janelle Burnham
by dim and flaring lamps Lucy Danielson longs for just two things: to ease pain and suffering alongside her doctor father and to marry Jeremiah Cunningham. But Jere's father wants him to marry a more influential young woman. What paths will Lucy and Jere decide to take when the Civil War erupts? Home Fires Burning Glorie Cunningham thought it would be wonderful to serve her country on the European front during the Great War, but she is assigned at an army hospital in her hometown. Her work seems to be the mundane battle against the flu epidemic-She knows she shouldn't allow it, but she can't fight an attraction to a certain patient suffering effects of mustard gas. Will her heart get irrevocably tangled? A Light in the Night Elisabeth Baker is a Red Cross nurse who doesn't particularly enjoy being called to work for the U.S. Army at a remote post in Labrador. She's hoping for a quick end to the Second World War, and is not allowing herself to get too attached to anyone. Then she meets a Canadian pilot whose gentle friendship tugs at her heart. What if she loses him to the awful war? Beside the Golden Door by Renee DeMarco After three internships, Kiersten Davis will sign up to serve her country in the war-torn areas of the world. Working with drug addiction, alcoholism, and cases of abuse was not in her plans. She makes a very embarrassing judgment call and meets Brett Lewis. Can he help her see a different side to her patients and their circumstances?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.