"As the reader takes Jean Lau Chin's guided tours through myth and cultural history, it is clear that these stories are more than entertainment: They represent cultural messages about living as a woman. The juxtaposition of Chinese and Western myths with their similarities and differences, followed by the author's incisive analysis of contemporary stories depicting Asian women in print and on the screen, provide culturally driven connections to perceptions and behaviors of Chinese women both individually and in relation to the world. Through these stories, a rich tapestry of information about Chinese women and Chinese American women emerges. The stereotypical Chinese woman fails to appear as the various lenses of ethnicity, gender, location, and epoch make explicit the diversity that exists within any ethnic group and liberate us by providing an informed array of images and possibilities." From Book
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.